JSON API for archive.org services and metadata
We have been moving the majority of our services from formats like XML, OAI and other to the more modern JSONP format and method of client/server interaction .
As we do not have unlimited resources behind our services, we request that users try to cache results where they can for the more high traffic and popular installations/uses. 8-)
- Search Results:
- You can use this form to setup a query to our search engine. You may pick what kinds of information you would like returned, how the results should be sorted, and how many results to return. Example query.
- An Individual Item's extended Metadata:
Our "/details/" pages that we show for every item on our site use their
metadata on the back-end to make the HTML displayed in your browser.
You can make any item's details page output JSON by switching
"/details/" to "/metadata/".
Example item's metadata in JSON
- Top Level Page:
- You can access much of the displayed information on the main archive.org page by changing its output mode to use JSON.
- User Favorites / Bookmarks:
- You can show your own favorites or those of another user.
Putting it all together -- an exampleYou can string multiple JSON requests to archive.org services to make a very complete version or "view" of our site anywhere on the web!